The Perfect Protest

Wednesday, September 29th, 2010 17
Posted in: Community, Refocus, SOOC

I simply adore Brene Brown and of her work on authenticity, vulnerability, and courage. In light of her newest book being released, The Gifts of Imperfection, Brene launched a Perfect Protest. As someone working on detangling herself from the web of perfectionism, I couldn’t resist joining in. I hope you will, too!

1. Karen says:

This is great Meghan. I post mine tomorrow, stay tuned!
    Karen (from Squam)

2. Erika says:

Love the concept and love the photo. You look resolute. I thought of Katherine Hepburn immediately upon seeing you….so solid in herself with an elegant dignity yet frank; able to show all of this through her eyes..

Love this. Love Brene’s book (on my bedside table). Love the concept. Love your photos. LOVE THAT YOU ARE A FELLOW REDHEAD.
    xox

4. Jess says:

Scary. I have grown too attached to my perfectionism, but I know it is unhealthy. Should I read it? You are a strong person and I trust that if you think it is good, then it is.

5. Tiffany Hogan says:

very cool Meghan, very cool! words to live by

6. Oooh i love this and love this protest of yours too. Im off to check it out. xx

Great photo, Meghan. The whole concept of perfection is one I’ve been struggling with myself lately. I realized how much time and energy I waste striving for a perfection that can’t be achieved, and then beating myself up when I don’t achieve it. It means that no matter how well I do on any given task, I’m left feeling deflated and joyless. I don’t pat myself on the back or celebrate the little victories. I miss the beauty in situations because I’m focused on what’s “wrong.” So lately I’ve been trying to consciously embrace imperfection. To be ok with less than 110%. To be able to say “I did enough”. Jeez it’s hard but your picture and post will continue to be a source of inspiration for me. I also LOVED your blog on commenting… so I’m double commenting on this one! You articulated how wonderfully validating and community-building comments are. I am so thrilled when I receive one and like you, enjoy making them more and more each day.

8. Katrina says:

jumped over from Brene’s site – love your take on the protest. šŸ™‚

9. carrie says:

Great picture! You don’t have to be perfect to be beautiful! I blog hopped over from the ordinary courage.

10. Brandi Marie says:

So crazy to see those words here: “Growing Into Myself”. They have been in my mind and spilling into my journals for a few months now! Growing into myself and becoming unapologetic about being 100% me! More open, more authentic. Will check this book out for sure šŸ™‚ LOVELY photo!

11. Piper Larson says:

Love this post! Thanks so much for sharing it with me!
    ~Piper

12. […] or proficiency.” Practice refers to the process of doing something. Practice also encompasses focusing less on being perfect. With these meanings in mind, I want 2012 to be a year of practice. A year of cultivating daily […]