Jumping into the Frame

Monday, November 8th, 2010 9

Vivienne McMaster is a fabulous photographer who takes amazing self-portraits. Her photos are full of whimsy and seem to capture so much of her personality. And they are simply gorgeous. I have never met Vivienne in person, yet I feel like I have a sense of her and who she is because of the ways she tells a story through her self-portraiture. Vivienne has just launched her online course, You are Your Own Muse, and I’m thrilled to be one of her first students. In my photography thus far, I have only turned the camera on myself a handful of times. And if you’ve read much of this blog or scrolled through my photos, you know I don’t take many photos of anyone, much less myself. So, I thought Viv’s class would offer me a good opportunity to delve into stepping into my photographs.

The class is just beginning its second week, and we are all just starting to dip our toes in the pool of self-portraits. It’s been fun, if a bit challenging, to consider placing myself into the frame. Typically when I’m shooting or when something strikes me to take a photo, I’m searching for interesting objects, or I’m inspired by the lighting, the scenery, or the framing of the photograph. It’s quite a shift to focus on including myself. Since the class began, I’ve noticed that I’m more mindful each time I’m out shooting, bringing awareness to consider opportunities for self-portraits. The two photos here are my favorites from this past week (my other favorite is one I took this summer that is posted on my About page).

I’m finding it takes a certain courage to step into the frame. Turning the lens on myself reveals a kind of vulnerability. But it also uncovers authenticity. And authenticity is just what I’m seeking.

1. Laura says:

Love the pictures– the beautiful autumn colors– and fun that you’re in them! Wish we could see your beautiful FACE too, but I know I hafta work through that. I’ll see that face soon enough.

Love you!

2. Sarah Jean says:

Beautiful pictures and so glad that you’re turning the camera toward yourself! Looking forward to seeing what develops!

3. traceyclark says:

these are awesome! well done!

4. Jayne Bramley says:

Great images Meghan – I find it to be so much fun to jump into the frame myself, happy to see you are having fun with it too πŸ™‚ I checked out the link for Vivienne McMaster and I agree with you she has stunning photographs with such a sense of storytelling. Looking forward to seeing more photos of YOU from that e-course. Have a great week and thanks for the photo trip it was a great way to say a little goodbye to Lincoln and the East Campus arboretum πŸ™‚ We haven’t known each other for very long but I am gonna’ miss you!!!

5. Karen D says:

I am loving this class also and I am looking forward to the portrait journey

6. Gretta says:

love ur pics but luv ya more!

7. Tiffany Hogan says:

These are amazing Meghan!!

8. Celina Wyss says:

Great job! Can’t wait to see more of what you do from the class.

9. beth says:

Self-portraits are a whole new world of photography. I’m not a big fan of seeing myself in photos either, but getting creative with angles, lighting, mirrors, shadows and so on can be really good fun, and also be gentle on you! Sounds like a great class. Interesting to read your comment on my creative validation post – I am going to go back through your archives now!
    BethXx