One Word

Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 10

I’m participating in Gwen Bell’s #Reverb10 project for December. According to the website, “Reverb 10 is an annual event and online initiative to reflect on your year and manifest what’s next. The end of the year is an opportunity to reflect on what’s happened, and to send out reverberations for the year ahead. With Reverb 10, we’ll do both.” Gwen and her masterminds put out daily creative prompts for reflection and manifestation. I LOVE it! I think it’s important to reflect on what’s past and look forward with intention toward the future; this is a fabulous opportunity to engage in those as we close out this year and welcome the next.

Yesterday was the kickoff and the first prompt was, “One Word. Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you?” I spent most of the day pondering my one word for each year.

Two words kept coming to mind for 2010, but as I spent time writing and reflecting in my journal, I came to a clear consensus. My word for 2010 is SEARCHING. As I look back over this past year, I see so evidently that I was truly on a search. I was searching for community, a creative path, and grounding.

I was searching for community as I tried to make more connections in my still new-ish city. I was searching for community as I invited a small group of women in my local area to become a creative and collaborative group for one another. I was searching for community as I launched this blog, and as I attended Squam Art Workshops. I was searching for community as I attempted to develop an inspiring retreat in Oregon for a handful of women whose creative endeavors and longings I admire.

I was searching for a creative path. I was seeking a creative outlet(s) that resonated for me. I began searching out creative opportunities to take photography classes (both live and online), to begin a blog, to explore artistic endeavors outside my comfort zone at Squam. I was searching for ways to expand my creative self through a regular journal practice and even buying my first art supplies. I was also searching for grounding. I was searching for a sense of spirituality and rootedness. I began searching these parts of my soul through journaling and attending a liberal and open-minded church (in the Midwest? I know, who’d a thought it). I returned to yoga to seek this grounding. Overall, I was searching for my Self. 2010 was my year of SEARCHING.

As I started to think about what reverberations I want to send out for 2011, I came up with six words. As I thought more about these six, I realized that one kept calling to me, and I trust this is the word that resonates best for my 2011: CREATIVITY. I eagerly want to follow this creative path I’ve begun in earnest this year. I want to keep exploring my creative self and find my inner artist who was squelched back in 2nd grade. I also see how creativity encompasses the other five words I was considering–exploration, journey, connection, open, and authentic. If I am to be creative and live that in 2011, I need to continue on this journey and keep going with my explorations. Creativity requires me to be open and authentic, to listen to my creative longings. And I believe through creativity, I will find connection, to others and to my Self. So yes, for 2011, CREATIVITY.

What is your one word for 2010 and 2011?

hmmm…I’m going to have to think about this for a little while but the first word that comes to me for 2010 and 2011 is LOVE.

2. Karen D says:

I felt like my journey mirrors yours in many ways for 2010.
    My word was “break” I experienced many breaks/cracks to my heart/spirit this year and my word for 2011 is “open” I want to sit with those breaks and remain open to love and creativity and community and all those things.
    Thanks for sharing your words.

hugs,
    Karen

3. Sarah Jean says:

Hmm…great question…I’ll have to think about the word for 2010 and the word for 2011. Thanks for the thought-provoking post!

4. kimber bowers says:

well… thank you for this… it was a little fuzzy at first but did not take me long to clarify. 2010 must be EXPLORATION… exploring different outlets through which to express & share the grace love and acceptance that i have found in the past several years… and for 2011, while the first word that comes to mind is always Growth, thats a constant and so i’d say a given… So 2011 must be ACTUALIZATION… taking the things that i’ve learned from my exploration, the vision that has developed as my authentic way to connect with others and BE an expression of the love that ive found, and figuring out how to bring this vision into the quotidian. How to keep it as the daily focus of life, without being hampered by all lifes other seemingly important responsibilities… It feels good to put that into words… Thank You

5. Jayne Bramley says:

I think my word for 2010 would have to be FRUSTRATION…on so many levels, but here we are approaching the end of this year and I have found my way back to the place I believe I belong.
    My word for 2011 is PASSION….I am ready to start living my life with a passion. Passion for my job, for healthy living, for creative pursuits and relationships. I am so looking forward to a new year and a new me!!!!
    Miss you 🙁
    Love Jayne.xoxo

6. Tiffany Hogan says:

very cool Meghan. I don’t have a blog but I will check the website for prompts. Seems like a great idea.

So happy I am part of your community. 😉

7. Eric Johnson says:

My word for this year… Collaboration. Worked with several friends and some icons for whom I have endless respect to carve a foothold in the academic surgical world. Next year….domination!

My word for 2010 is discovery, I think. Discovered so many new things about myself, the world and who I wanted to be in it. I think I want my word for 2011 to be unfettered…. as in that’s how I want to live. Thanks for the great, thought-provoking question. And I am so excited to observe the results of your year of creativity in 2011!

9. Laura says:

Hey, Megs! Interesting post and good conversation starter for our time with Cecily in AZ! We talked about our 2010 words– inspired by your thoughtful blog entry. ‘Searching’ is a good summary for you, and captures many themes of your year! I quickly landed on ‘GRATEFUL’… 2010 was a year full of things I’m dearly grateful for, I’m grateful for your friendship, your inspiration, your creativity, your HEALTH… I’m grateful for the health and well being of my family, I’m grateful for our shared travel (we had so much fun!), grateful to have a job I value and to live in a place that’s beautiful and vibrant. Miss Cecily’s word was GROWTH. We talked lots about what the year has meant to her, shes truly learned lots (in experiences in LIFE in addition to college). Cheers to 2011, Megs, I’ll put my thinking cap on and come up with a word for that too… love you, Laura

10. […] Life Refocused Using photography to build a creative life and focus on what matters. Skip to content HomeAbout ← One Word […]