Choose Love

Monday, February 14th, 2011 11
Posted in: Community, Refocus, SOOC

As part of the grounding and “settling into the space” ritual at the start of one of my morning yoga classes last month, my yoga instructor shared an insight she had gleaned from watching a movie the previous day. She discussed this rather intense film, describing a scene in which one character is talking with another about her feelings toward someone who committed a horrible crime that hurt her immensely. My yoga teacher relayed the take-home message of this scene, and ultimately the film, as one involving the ways in which hate only serves to hurt the person who is hating and doesn’t affect the individual who is the target of such hate. She so clearly shared with us the ways that hate eats us up inside and makes us feel bad. And she reminded us that the person we’re hating, well, she/he isn’t really changed or affected in any way. That person is simply living life, not experiencing the negativity and hatred that we are carrying. So…choose love.

Why choose love? Especially when we’re angry, hurt, or upset? Because love feels good. Love fills us up. Love elevates us. Love begets more love. Love simply feels better. Love is always the answer. Today felt like such a fitting time to share this story with you. And to remind me of the better path. Choose love.

Happy Valentine’s Day. xoxo

Ah yes! Couldn’t agree more. Negativity, grudges, and anger weigh us down. Love is light and helps us rise above to a better place. Happy Day!

2. Laura says:

Excellent thoughts for the day! Happy Valentines, Megs! We’re sending loads of love your way!! xxoo

Reminds me of the famous Anne Lamott quote: “In fact, not forgiving is like drinking rat poison and waiting for the rat to die.”
    What a great reminder. Thank you. xox

4. i.ikeda says:

Lovely lesson. Thank you for passing it on.

5. pieces of me says:

love begets MORE love!!

6. Sarah Jean says:

Yes, choose love and joy whenever possible. The hate also makes me think about forgiveness. When you don’t forgive, you only hurt yourself 🙂 Glad you are choosing love today.

7. Tiffany Hogan says:

Great note Meghan. Happy valentine’s day!

8. mary says:

Couldn’t agree more.

Happy Love Day!

9. Erica@PLRH says:

Hi, I came here through Ivy League Insecurities…

This post is perfect for me today. It’s been a bad day and I’ve been angry. But you’re so right… I will choose love. Love lifts us up to where we belong. Thank you for this.

10. elizabeth says:

yes yes yes!! and you shared it so perfectly— that is so exactly right and somehow, we aren’t taught that early on– all we can do is love, honor another person’s journey even if we don’t understand it and move on to more love– yes yes yes!

Thank you for writing it down for me. xo, E

11. […] love. When in doubt, choose love. I’ve written about this very thing before, but today, I’m focusing on choosing love toward myself. I’m feeling a bit sensitive. A […]