Note to Self

Thursday, August 18th, 2011 8

I’m currently working on a number of projects, both professional (i.e., for “work”) and more personal. The work projects are research manuscripts, the likes of which you’ve read about here before. With the semester starting in just a few short days, and my tenure clock ticking ever louder, the import of writing and securing publications in professional journals couldn’t be greater. At the same time, I’m giving birth to an idea that has been bubbling in my heart and soul for some time. A new photography project that is very personal, yet equally universal.

I’m excited about what is on the horizon for me in both of these veins. But I’m feeling more cautious, more protective, more tentative about unleashing this photography project in comparison to pursuing my professional endeavors. I guess it’s only natural considering I’ve been at the publishing game in academia for some time, and my journey into photography, creativity, and artistry is much more recent. I am feeling the fear of “putting myself out there.” I’m feeling a tightening in my throat, a knot in my stomach, a rapidity of my heartbeat as I think about sharing this photography dream of mine. I’m feeling the doubts creep in and I’m hearing the demons whispering admonishments in my ears. So I want to acknowledge these fears, console them a bit, and do it anyway. I want to embrace my trust in the Universe to do its thing. And I want to post this note to self…

Do you have any dreams to unleash? Are you feeling the fear and doing it anyway? Do you need a note to self? BTW, my gorgeous necklace was made just for me by the talented and lovely Celina.

Yes, yes, yes … I have a dream to unleash and, like you, I’m holding it close right now, not entirely sure why, but I am. Closer, even, than in the spring, when it felt nearer at hand. Your advice is good: I’ll just try to sit still and breathe. And trust. Never easy for me, but absolutely essential.

I am with you on these projects – in heart and spirit. And trust that all happens for a reason and we have to let it play out. But let it play!

3. We all need these notes to self posted all over our worlds don’t we? To stop the fear from creeping in or to keep it at bay or to remind ourselves that we can push those boundries and reach for the dreams that we want and deserve. It’s ok to be protective. And you will know when the time is right to unleash your greatness to the world.
    xo

4. darlene says:

I have had to put my dream on hold for now but still work on it when I can
    since starting the journey into Breast Cancer I have been documenting it on my blog and trying to find away to inspire other women – so my dream may be on hold but another bubbles to the surface

5. Kaitlin Maud says:

I am very familiar with the feeling.

Just.

Breathe.

6. Meg says:

This is oh so familiar. I too am eager to push forward with projects close to my heart but am equally in a highly protective mode. I guess like parents we become very protective of creative projects that put ourselves out there, exposed for all to shoot down if they want to. In those moments, I remind myself of the pearls of wisdom in Twyla Tharp’s The Creative Habit and Julia Cameron’s The Artist’s Way. As the “big unveiling” is paralysingly scary, I am currently clinging on to Julia’s suggestion to focus on the immediate next step to maintain a forward momentum, as well as keeping the chi flowing. Bon courage!

I believe in you and so do many, many people. You have love and support to drown out the sounds of the demons. I can’t wait to see your success unfold!

Love that you can find space to breathe in the middle of everything. Sending you big hugs. I know you are cut out for all of this, I just do.