Monday, September 12th, 2011 12
Posted in: Universe

On this day, back in Baltimore, we got married. 13 years ago. We stood in front of family and friends, sharing vows we wrote separately for one another, exchanging rings with secret messages inscribed. We made a commitment to go through life together. In many ways it’s hard to imagine the number of years that have passed (we must have been 12 when we got married!), yet too much has happened for it not to have been more than a decade. I’m grateful to be in a relationship that has allowed for such growth, for each of us, and I appreciate the ways we’re still the same.

Although one of us doesn’t necessarily believe in the Universe doing its thing, the other one believes there was no coincidence in having been at the same birthday party with her future partner when she was a mere 3 year old. He’s still my favoritest. No matter what.

Happy anniversary! I love that your rings have secret inscriptions. I had Matt’s engraved with “you are my sunshine” and the woman at the jeweler tried to talk me out of it. “It’s just not conventional,” she pleaded. And, surely he’ll “get bored of it.” Um, no. The ring says you are my sunshine. And he is. xox

2. Todd Pernicek says:

Happy anniversary! You two are awesome!

3. Tiffany says:

OH, my goodness, Happy Anniversary!! You two are amazing and inspiring people, let me tell you… And look at you both–as cute today as you were “back in the day”. 🙂

4. Tiffany Hogan says:

Happy anniversary!!

Happy Anniversary!!! Lovely post. And great pic!

6. Tim says:

Wow. You guys look so freaking fresh faced there.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Happy Anniversary!

7. ATR says:

Oh, Monkey, I do believe in the Universe doing its thing. What else could it do? Happy anniversary to us! Thirteen years still leaves a long way until forever…glad you still like your “secret message.”

Happy Anniversary!!! Loved reading your story. Cheers!

Happy Anniversary! Not sure which I loved most: your post or the comment from ATR (awwwwwww). I adore you both, as individuals and as one of the most inspiring, cool, funny, fun, kind and interesting couples I know. Here’s to many, many more years of growing together!

10. Phoe says:

Happy anniversary!

11. jan bretz says:

Love your picture and your post. Happy anniversary and many, many more!

12. […] years ago today, we promised to love each other through it all. We had no idea what “through it all” would really […]