My Cup Runneth Over

Tuesday, February 14th, 2012 11

My cup is filled. Mini Photo-Camp and spending time with Bird Wanna Whistle (aka Corinna) was just the self-care I was needing. Yes, we did set up a photo shoot or two, went on some photo walks, and had a great processing session using Lightroom, Photoshop, and Radlab. Yes, I did use all FOUR of the cameras I took with me. And yes, all of our conversations about photography and creativity were a vital part of the past few days. But as I reflect on the weekend, I’m struck by what keeps surfacing as the most important piece I’m carrying with me. The piece that matters most, the piece that made my cup runneth over, was being seen.

I’ve written before about being seen. About how deep down, being known and seen for who we truly are is what we all long for. And that’s what my time with Corinna did for me — it gave me the beautiful space to be myself, just as I am. The space we created provided room for me to be silly, to burst into song as we walked along snow-covered trails, and to let go of some self-conscious veneer. Our time together allowed me to share some of my big dreams…you know the ones we hold tightly that feel scary to say out loud or really admit to having. Being with a kindred spirit, a person who “gets me,” allowed me to express some fears I’m holding around my creativity, to be held in sharing those fears, and to take in the encouragement that while those fears might be part of my truth, I don’t need to let them be obstacles on my journey.

While in Colorado, I kept up with my daily practice of reading Mark Nepo’s, The Book of Awakening. Part of February 10th’s passage said this: “I am finding that being who I am — not hiding any of myself — is a necessary threshold that I must meet or my life will not evolve.” This quote seems to epitomize how I felt this past weekend as well as what I’m carrying forward. Being seen gave me the gift of seeing myself.

Thank you, Corinna, for seeing me.

Lovely. I have read Nepo’s book before, and still have it by my bedside, and, likewise, find it intensely moving and powerful. Thank you for this reminder – both of his words and of how they live in your ilfe. xox

2. susan says:

Such a beautiful post Meghan! How wonderful for you and Corinna to spend time with each other. Happy Valentine’s Day!

3. kelly says:

I’m going to have to look into that book. I seem to be on the threshold of this place you’re in as well.

This post in itself is nearly as much of a gift as the time spent in your company. I too am filled to the brim from our weekend of exploration, and thank you for sharing yourself and your beautiful spirit so wholly. xo

Also, love this photo!

6. Leslie says:

How beautiful Meghan. There is truth in this for me too. You are lucky to have someone that you can connect with over photography and share your fears with. It’s a rare friendship. I have someone like that in my life, but she is far away from me now. I’m sure your growth will happen more easily because of it.

7. Annie Samuels says:

Beautiful post. Being seen and being with kindreds is what made camp so special. I hope it isn’t too long before we are all together again.

8. Tiffany says:

Such a kind post Meghan. It warms my heart to know that this trip filled your cup. 🙂

9. […] and content I felt during our mini photo-camp weekend as I was reading Mark Nepo (I’ve shared my love for Mark Nepo before!) the other day as part of my morning ritual. Nepo writes, “we […]

10. Natalie says:

This is so lovely. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.