In a Funk

Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 18

Having grown up near the ocean, I spent many summer days swimming in the Atlantic. And while I love swimming in the ocean (and miss it desperately), I recall numerous times that I got knocked down by thunderous waves, and swirled around in the mix of white water and sand. That’s kinda what this week is feeling like, minus the beach, the umbrellas, and the cute lifeguards. And all that knocking down is pushing me deeper and deeper into a FUNK.

I’m trying to shake it off. I know there are times of ebb and flow. I know that getting rejections means I’m being brave in putting myself out there. But still…it kinda sucks right now.

Thankfully, I’ve got my trusty Mark Nepo book that I aim to read each morning, and you know what it said for today’s entry? Nepo was describing a woman’s journey through Europe, and he said this: “…though she often wasn’t sure where she was, she never felt lost. It was when she needed to arrive at a certain station at a certain time that she felt she was off course, astray, and at the fringe of where she was supposed to be…When we can free up our sense of needing to arrive in a certain place, we lessen the weight of being lost. And once beneath arriving and beneath our fear of failing to arrive, the real journey begins.”

Huh…interesting story and timing. Yes, rejection hurts and having things not work out the way I’d hoped *is* disappointing. Four times over in one week might put anyone in a FUNK. However, Nepo provides some perspective and solace that I’m working to take in and refocus myself. Perhaps these destinations weren’t the places I needed to be. Perhaps I’ve grown too attached to a timetable and to certain locations, and perhaps these attachments are what contribute to my feelings of being lost and in a FUNK. So, how to let go of these? Oh yeah, by doing this. Keep on the journey and trust the process.

How are you doing? What do you do to shake off a FUNK?

1. I’m a firm believer that everything happens for a reason…we may not understand it at the moment…but eventually we will. It’s hard to accept at times, so I’m not saying it’s easy…but it is my mantra and it helps me get thru the funk as well. Feel a big virtual hug for another kindred spirit!

Robin–thank you so much for your comment today. I, too, believe that everything happens for a reason, even if that reason is hard to discern. Thanks for the reminder and the virtual hug! xo

2. Dearie, I just read those same words from Nepo’s book myself! It brought to mind when we are traveling, and Maikael likes to wander a city and I like to have A Plan. “We are lost!” I will invariably cry at some point, not exactly sure where we are. “How can we be lost if we don’t know exactly where we going?” he always counters. He has a point.

I know funks really well (love that photo, BTW). Usually, I try to do something I enjoy doing that helps me work through it: writing a letter helps with the psychological working-through. Cooking, baking, walking and running helps to get me out of my head and into my body, the former of where I spent WAY too much time.

Other than that, riding it through the other side and trusting that “this too shall pass” is the best we can do.

3. PS: Have you ever watched any of the Joseph Cambell “Power of Myth” DVDs, his interview series with Bill Moyers from the 1980s (PBS)? If not, I think you might really enjoy them. Maikael and I have been working our way through them (six hours of interviews in total), and they are really mind-blowing. As Maikael says, “It’s like having a guru in your living room who is giving you the secrets to life.”

Thanks for sharing Maikael’s comments when you are traveling, E.! And are you loving Mark Nepo?! I will definitely check out Campbell’s DVDs. Thanks for the suggestion. xo

4. Pippin says:

The funk must be in the air, because I am feeling it here in the muddy river city of STL. Feeling lost, anxious, and a bit depressed these days. Participating in a big art fair in two weeks, and have put my heart and soul in this far. I have deep seated fear about this whole event being a bust. Playing the ‘What If’ record in my mind. What if I don’t sell any art? What if people just walk by my booth? What if all my fears come true? Really I should be saying ‘What if it’s a complete success?’!

For funky therapy, I like to watch really funny movies, bake, take long runs in the forest, or play some funky music and dance the funk out of my system!

Thanks for sharing your honesty.
    xo

Oh Pippin! I’m sorry to hear you are in a funk, too. I love that you are considering spinning all that funk and fear to asking “what if your art is an astounding success at the fair?” And, I have to say that you creating all the art, regardless of others’ reactions, is already a success. Thanks for your tips on self-care and what you do to shake the funk off. Wishing us both funk-free days ahead. xo

Thank you for being honest about where you are and showing up anyway! Love you for that and am always so inspired by how honestly you put yourself out there. Keep going my dear, one step and then another! xo

Thanks, Celina. I am glad to hear that my honesty and keeping it real here at Life Refocused is appreciated. I think it’s important for us to share the hard stuff along with the successes and happy stuff. xo

6. Cathy says:

I like you write about it… i think then there if proof for me anyway, that it will pass. I loved you photo and now need that book. Sending good thoughts and virtual chocolate your way.

Oh, sweet YOU. I know this place of wandering and wondering. I SO know it (as you, of all people, know.) And I know that you, of all people, will wander right back out of it and into the flow. It’s what you do.

Thank you for your friendship and your support and your honesty. You are a gift.

Oh, Corinna! Thank you for your comment and your belief in my funk flowing right on outta here! I so value you and your friendship. xo

8. Sarah says:

I am often pleasantly surprised that being in a funk means coming back to earth to get grounded, coming home to myself and my priorities, including self-care. Back to basics in the most vital way. So I try to nourish myself as much as possible during those times ~ fill up on the things that really light me up. Doing that tends to heal my wounds in a delicious way.

I echo Celina ~ you are so brave for showing up.

xoxo

9. It’s so interesting that you wrote about your experience in the Atlantic and associated it with your piece on being in a funk. I grew up on the other coast and also spent a lot of time being tossed around in the water and have been thinking about it SO MUCH lately. About how I want to do that again – about how I want to feel that I don’t have any control and am at the whim of mother nature. My husband and I are going on a three week-ish trip up the left coast and I plan on taking my bathing suit and body surfing getting tossed around a little and relishing in the feeling of no control. I hope you end up on the other side of your funk soon. xo

10. Hi there. Would you mind telling me which Mark Nepo book you are referring to? I would love to check it out. :-)

I recently found you on Flickr and started following your blog. As an aspiring photographer I love to see your photos that you post. You’re such an inspiration. I’m sorry you’ve had a rough week. I like to think of it as the storm before the calm. :-)

~ Wendy