Tugs on Creativity

Wednesday, November 30th, 2011 10
Posted in: Portrait, Time

It is an understatement to say that this time of year is busy. The academic calendar certainly comes with many perks, but the crunch that happens at the end of a semester can be maddening. I’m getting through, keeping my nose to the grindstone, and focusing on a lengthy list of goals that I set for myself back at the end of August. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I’m getting closer to that light with many of those goals accompanied by check-marks.

With all the writing I’m doing, my photography has taken a bit of a back-seat. I’m so thankful for my iPhone and for my practice of daily gratitude this month in snapping a photograph each day. That has certainly helped me hang on to my creativity. I’ve also been sticking to the Art of Composition class with Tracey Clark, and working to take some photographs regarding each week’s lesson. This past week’s focus was on portraits, something I really love shooting but something that is very hard for me as I don’t have many people in my local life who have any interest in having their photograph taken. So, I used who I had — one reluctant subject and one who gave me a few moments of stillness.

How is the pace of your life these days? I loved this recent post from my friend, Lindsey. It’s really got me thinking about the choices I make with my time…

As you know, the pace here is pretty quick … but there are certain places that instantly center me, remind me of what matters, and calm me down in a very meaningful way. Your blog is one of them. xox

Oooooh, choices. That is empowering and tough at once, because it brings to the fore the value judgements inherent in the things that don’t get done. I’m busy beating myself up about that right now.

Liking your shadowy portrait though!

3. I wish we lived closer, because I’d be a very willing subject to have my portrait taken! Yes, this time of year is crazy. I have a tendency to want to run around and do lots of Christmasy things, which often ends up feeling like “one more thing to do.” So this year I’m just letting it be.

4. Darlene. says:

Love your blog and I wish we lived closer together so we could shoot – I would love for you to take some portraits of me.
    My life these days has been a little strange – having BC I know I am sick but I still they toncarry on like all is normal and document everything with my camera.
    I have 2 cats who run when they see my camera and Greg who doesn’t always like to be in photos but does it for me!!
    Peace Love Photography

Great picture of T! Loving the beard. He and Tom definitely take style tips from the same place! Good luck getting through the madness. It always makes it so hard for me to enjoy this time of year fully, but I’m trying!

6. Karen says:

My husband and pup are my reluctant subjects also… love these.
    the pace is way too fast, I am longing for it to slow just a bit..

Karen

7. Marcie says:

A wonderful pairing of these two images. Love that – in both – the ‘eye’ is what we see. And – yes – life is busy…but good!

8. I am grinning at the “One reluctant subject” comment. My black Lab, Indy, is the same way. It’s like he thinks the camera will steal his soul or something. Often he slinks off when he sees me stalking him. I’ve found that using the sports setting and catching him when he’s sleepy helps me get great photos of him. THe more I do it, the more he seems to kind of let me.

(I’m reading back in your entries.)