Starting a Milestone

Monday, April 23rd, 2012 25
Posted in: Color, Community, One Word

Today is a milestone for me in a number of ways. First, it’s a milestone birthday. 40. WOOT! I don’t think I could feel better about turning 40. I feel vibrant, alive, and full of vitality. I feel open and excited about the ways my life is unfolding. I feel more comfortable in my skin every day. Best of all, I feel more and more like mySelf. Like I’m truly becoming me — the real, authentic, true me. And that feels incredible.

It also marks the beginning of a milestone project. Today, on my 40th birthday, I’m launching my (first?) 365 Photography Project. So starting today, I will take a photograph each and every day for one year. I know this 365 project will strengthen my skills as a photographer, as well as give me plenty of room to really delve into my one little word for 2012. My intention is that I will shoot the vast majority of these photos with my digital SLR (my “big girl camera,” as I like to call it), one of my Polaroid cameras, or my 35mm film camera. I am giving myself the permission to shoot with my iPhone on some days — I want to be successful with this 365 Photography Project, and with the traveling I have planned for summer, I know there will be days that I’ll need to rely on a shot from my iPhone. Since the project launches today, the photograph I shoot for today will be posted tomorrow, then the photo I shoot tomorrow will be posted the day after that, etc. Because I also plan to shoot with non-instant film (how could I NOT shoot with film!?!?), there will also be some delays in posting those photos since I will need time to get them back from the lab. I’m sure I’m the only person who really cares about these nit-picky logistics, but because it matters to me, I thought I’d share how it will work in terms of when I’ll be posting the photographs.

Although the photograph for this post shows the finish line of this milestone project, I realize I’m not even at mile-marker 1 yet. I’m aware that the excitement and enthusiasm I feel now will ebb and flow over the year. So I know I’ll need a lot of support and encouragement along this journey. I hope you’ll cheer me on and be fellow travelers along with me. You can follow my 365 project by clicking on the “365” tab in the top navigation bar.

Here I go…Wish me luck!

1. Kristina says:

Happy Birthday! Welcome to this awesome decade! And what better way to celebrate than starting a project 365! I can’t wait to see your images…I will be cheering you on along the way. xoxo

Happy birthday to you, sweet inspirator. I’ll be following and rooting for you with fervor. You’re going to love this project!

xoxo

3. YAY! I am super excited for you! Happy Birthday! I would love to start a 365 project some day. The idea of doing something everyday really inspires me. For now, I am aiming for blogging 5 days a week. Aiming, but not necessarily achieving! I will eat an amazing cupcake in your honor. xoxo

4. kristin says:

what 40?!?!? no way. i am not buying it. seriously lady i thought 30. no lie. so welcome fellow 1972 baby! happy birthday to you. and hooray for a 365 journey to your next birthday. you are so right it will ebb and flow and some days feel insurmountable, but trust that it is. just one click… XO

Happy birthday, and I can’t WAIT to see your photos. xox

6. Patricia Saldana says:

You can count on me! Way to go! and Happy milestone!

7. Leslie says:

Awesome! I did a 365 in 2009 and it was so good for me! I’m doing another this year but primarily with my iPhone. Good luck!

8. Happy Birthday! I hope you LOVE this project. Congrats on getting started. I’m looking forward to seeing what you create!

9. Leslie says:

Happy Birthday and best of luck with the project! It’s a big commitment, but it sounds like you are ready to embrace it. If you find yourself getting bored or with nothing to shoot, just remember to GET OUT OF THE HOUSE! It’s the quickest way for me to find beautiful things. I look forward to seeing your journey! xo

10. Happy Birthday Meghan! I can’t wait to follow along!

11. Grace Moore says:

What a wonderful gift to yourSelf. Happy birthday,lots of love.

12. Kendra says:

Happy birthday and welcome to the madness of a 365! Good luck to you and I can’t wait to see the pictures!

13. Happy Birthday to you! I am sure you will reap so many rewards from this new adventure…kudos to you!!

14. Celina Wyss says:

Happy Birthday and good luck on the new project! Sounds like you are setting yourself up for a great year! xoxo

15. Jennifer says:

Happy Birthday! I turned 40 in February and have felt a difference in my willingness to take risks and my intolerance of fear – I’m 40, I can do anything? Kind of funny what a difference an age can make. That attitude was probably there all along, huh? Anyway, enjoy your day, your year and your decade! Looking forward to following along on your 365 journey…

16. Happy birthday! What a fun way to celebrate your 40th year, or any year for that matter. I’ve always been impressed by those who successfully complete a 365 project. I fear I don’t have the determination to complete one myself. But…I’m sure I’ll try someday. 😉
    Good luck to you! I can’t wait to follow along with your progress.

17. Debra says:

I hope you are having a wonderful birthday. I look forward to celebrating many milestones of this project with you. xoxo

18. Cherish says:

Happy 4-0 to you lovely lady. Welcome to the 365 club. There are lots of us in the thick of it, so come join the party! I hope you have a fab b-day.

19. Tiffany says:

Love this idea M! I look forward to cheering you on. Happy birthday!!!

20. christa says:

you are just gonna ROCK this project! so looking forward to what you shoot during this next trip around the sun of yours 🙂 Happy happy birthday!

21. mosey (kim) says:

I know you will do better than me! (I stopped at 75) But the timing was all wrong. For you? Seems absolutely right. You inspire! Happiest of birthdays.

22. kirstin says:

Happy Birthday, lovely Meghan!
    x

23. […] served me well. I’m intending to keep up that mantra throughout the year as I engage in my 365 Photography Project, as I continue to embrace the painter girl inside me, and during any time I’m exploring my […]

24. Chelsea says:

Happy belated birthday Meghan!! Excited for your 365 journey!! Xo

25. […] options I say, “YES!” I’m all of those. I’m not sure if it’s the post-birthday let down, or the I-didn’t-have-the-run-I-wanted-to-have blues, or this state of limbo I feel […]