May I Never Be

Thursday, September 20th, 2012 30

May I never be the person who doesn’t say “hello” as you sit down at the table, the person who doesn’t make eye contact with you or share even the smallest of smiles as you try to join the circle.

May I never be the person who doesn’t ask about you in return, the person who doesn’t inquire as to what you have been up to or what you are working on after you have so kindly asked about me.

May I never be the person who doesn’t make conversation with you as we sit together sharing a meal, the person who focuses on everyone else except you.

May I never be the person who believes there isn’t room for all of us.

And if I have ever been this person to you in the past, I am deeply sorry. I know how much it hurts to be unseen. I know how much it stings to not be included. I know how much it wounds a sacred place inside. May I never be that person again.

1. elizabeth says:

wow meghan — so beautiful — open heart, open heart, open heart- may we always have one to encourage others to feel safe, too–

2. This is absolutely beautiful. Brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for your wonderful words and photos. : )

~ Wendy

3. jen lemen says:

and may you always be loved when you are silent
    may you always be loved when you are hidden in your own sorrows
    may you always be loved when you cannot make the simplest greeting
    may you always be loved when you cannot believe the most basic things, that you belong even when you cannot see, even when you cannot believe there is a table where you belong.

4. karen says:

It is so hard to feel unseen or inheard. I am sure we have all been on both sides of that through this wild ride called life. I will join you pledge, may i not be the one who doesn’t see or hear, and join you in apoplgy if I have ever done it, for sure it was unknowkngly and unintentional. xo

5. karen says:

apologizes for typos. not versed in ipad touch type yet 🙂

6. Laura says:

Beautiful words. For far too much of my life I’ve been the unseen one. And ashamedly, I’ve also been the one not asking the questions. Thank you for reminding me that all of us deserve to be included and oftentimes when we take the focus off ourselves that’s when we are seen.

Oh Meghan, as someone who has had these wonderful conversations with you I just want to say you are loved. So very loved and one of the best people I could think of to be sitting across from at a table. xo

8. annie says:

Thank you, Meghan for putting into words what I have sometimes felt as well. I always try so hard to give people the benefit of the doubt. I tell myself, “oh, they must be shy.” But sometimes, you know that’s not the case. You know that you are being ignored or excluded. And it hurts.
    Just know, that I see you and I think that you are amazing. I love your work and your words.
    And I look forward to spending more time with you soon.

Dear Annie–I know we have talked about this very thing before and the ways that it hurts to not be seen. Thank you for your kind words. I think you are such a generous, kind soul and I can’t wait to see you in a few weeks. xoxo

It’s funny how the words that are the hardest to say are often the ones that everyone needs to hear the most. Thank you for being True, even when it reveals a vulnerable soft spot. May we see each other with love and acceptance. xo

10. Monica says:

hello there, over from MJs place (Wander Wonder Discover).

Yes, vulnerability is so difficult for most of us, yet it’s the only way to true connection.
    Enjoying your photography too!

Monica–thanks for clicking through to my space and for leaving a comment. Vulnerability is strength in my opinion. And yes, the only way to real connection!

Amen. You are not that person. Not ever. I hope you never run into them. The world is a better place with you in it. Of this I am sure.

12. kelly barton says:

hello sweet girl. just love this.

13. rebecca says:

Man, I wish I didn’t relate to this as well as I do. Thank you for kindly sharing this and letting it be alright, because we aren’t alone. You’ve never been that person to me, and I am always so grateful for your compassionate, caring inquiry and attention. Stay you, and you’ll never be that person. 🙂

14. Grace says:

I’ve been both. I still can be (or feel) unseen and it feels the same now as it did in school.. I also imagine I have been viewed as the not seeing person many times since the painfully awkward shy and easily overwhelmed girl still has a room inside of me and she can sit there like a lump. Tricky business being human. Trickier business being truly seen.
    You are a beautiful tender loving being shining light for us all. Thank you.
    Love,
    Grace

Thanks for your comment, Grace. I’m sure we have all been on both sides of this–being unseen and not seeing others. Very tricky being human, for sure. Thank you for always seeing me. I love you! xoxox

15. michelle gd says:

thank you for your smiles and embraces at squam…for your seeing.
    you are beauty. i can’t wait to know you more…
    xo

16. Leslie says:

Beautiful! A good reminder for us all. I am a photographer, so I am trained to see people. What I have noticed that I need to do more of is let them know that I see them. Remembering a name by writing it down, complimenting them and as you said, asking them about their lives. It’s so important. And as with all things, you will get back what you put out. See more people, and more people will see you. xo

Thanks for your thoughtful comments, Leslie. We, as photographers, do see people, but we could work to see them more fully. And hopefully others will see us in the same light. xo

17. mindy says:

you are a beautiful, bright shiny star! xoxo

18. Tamar says:

beautiful words. thank you for being so open Meghan. yes there is a place for all of us.