A Dream Realized

Tuesday, January 8th, 2013 42

I’ve been searching for the words to tell you more about my trip to NYC a few weeks ago and about seeing my photograph hanging in the Impossible Project Gallery. I promised you I’d come back and tell you all about it. To be honest, I’m still struggling with describing my emotions and the experience of it all. It was surreal. And incredible. And overwhelming — in a good way.

Over the past few years, I have visited the Impossible Project NYC space two or three times. I’ve gotten the chance to meet some of the amazing people who work there (I’m talking about you, Anne, Frank, and Dave!), and I’ve seen a number of gallery shows that they have hosted in their gorgeous space on their impossibly tall walls. I’ve seen work exhibited there by some of my favorite instant photographers including Andrea Jenkins and Irene Nam. And in those times when I’ve visited and looked at the photography exhibited, I’ve whispered dreams to myself that maybe some day my photography might be hung on those walls.

And then, it happened.

Impossible_WalkingIn1_rsWhen we came off the elevator (or the “hellevator” as it is known), and walked through the door, my photograph was one of the first I could see. And in that moment, it didn’t seem quite real. I felt a bit out of my body. My dear Tribe sisters were with me (so grateful for that) and I think they were able to be more present at first than I could be. So, I had to catch my breath and take my first real look. Thankfully, Melissa graciously captured photos as the experience unfolded.

Impossible_FirstLook2_rsThe photo above reveals my happiness in the moment. It helps me see the pure joy I was feeling in seeing my self-portrait enlarged and framed, hanging on the gallery wall at the Impossible Project. In NYC! And then this photo, this is where it hit me. Really hit me. A dream realized.

Impossible_HittingMe3_rs

Impossible_TakingIn4_rsI was filled with emotion. Tearful. Grateful. Humbled. Proud. Although I can’t quite articulate it in words, I was so aware of how much this means to me. Yes, I want to be a good photographer. But I really want to be a good great Polaroid and instant film photographer. To do this, I have been working hard and practicing my instant photography over the past few years. I have had many growing pains, but the process has been incredible and I’ve learned so much. I can see my growth as I look back over all the instant photos I’ve taken. I love my Polaroid cameras and everything about instant film and photography. And I adore the instant photography community. The Impossible Project makes instant photography — the very ability to still use our Polaroid cameras — and the fostering of that community exist today. So to see my own development and to be seen and acknowledged by the Impossible Project, to have “made it” on to their gallery wall, means more to me than I can adequately explain.

Impossible_AttemptingCapture5_rsSo thank you, Impossible Project. Thank you, Tribe sisters, for trekking to NYC to see this moment. Thank you, Melissa, for capturing this experience for me. Thank you Christy, my Mortal Muse sister, for coming and for taking the iPhone photo with both my photograph and me in it. Thank you, Universe, for all that you provide.

ImpossibleMe2_rsI’m eternally grateful. xoxo

Bravo!!! You’re an inspiration. xox

Loved seeing the joy on your face there! xoxo

3. Emily Mendell says:

So honored to be a part of this experience. It was a beautiful photo , stunning really . You are so worthy of this and all the good things that lay in store.

I am so grateful you were there, Em. It meant (and means) so much to have the love and support of you and our Tribe. xo

4. Mae says:

Congratulations, Meghan, on this amazing achievement! It fills my heart to see you SO happy. This is so well-deserved for all of your hard work and the good energy you put out in the world. Congrats again!! xoxo

5. Charlene says:

So excited for you! Congratulations. Thanks for sharing the experience with us! xO

6. Jen Lee says:

There’s an ELEVATOR?!? Dammit–I always run/then walk/then stumble up all those stairs, and arrive panting at the top.

Lovely photos–so thrilled for you. <3

Congrats, Meghan! The joy on your face is so beautiful it makes me cry. So very, very happy for you, all you’ve accomplished and the journey yet to unfold…

8. Hi Meghan, I’ve been following your work for a while now and some time a number of months ago I commented and told you how much I wanted a Polaroid. If you have the time you can read about my incredible story ( http://gothamgirlchronicles.com/photography-2/magic/ ) because I now have one! I live in NYC and was able to view your photograph at the Impossible Project while picking up some film. What an incredible accomplishment and can easily see why you were so moved by your experience. Anyway, I’ve gone thru one package of film with only a couple of small successes, but from what I can tell already is that I will need to get used to my camera and learn from it. I just wanted to take a moment to tell you what an inspiration you have been to me. I purchased the book – Instant Love – which is good, but was wondering if there’s any other resources out there to help? Or do you think it’s just trial and error? Congratulations on your NYC experience!

Hi Robin! So happy you have ventured into Polaroid and instant photography. Impossible Project has lots of tips on their blog, so check those out. And then yes, it is lots of trial and error. Good luck and keep me posted. xo

This story makes me incredibly happy for you, and for the proof it offers that growth and the manifestation of dreams are really possible. I love that you have photos of the moment when you got to see it for yourself. They capture such a special moment and I’m so glad that you could share it with us. Congratulations, dear. I’m so excited to see what happens next. xo

Oh, Corinna, thank you! Your constant support and cheerleading keep me going with this journey. Grateful for you. xo

10. tara says:

this makes me so so so happy! congrats, lovely!

11. darlene says:

congrats sweetie – i have to try to go in to see it – how long will it be up?? I haven’t been into the ity since the Hurricane Sandy in October – crazy but so much to document on Long Island
    so happy for you – more good things to come for you I am sure

Thanks, Darlene! I think it will be up for just a few more weeks. Definitely down before Feb. Hope you get to see it. xo

12. rebecca says:

Woot, woot and more WOOT!! I am so proud OF you and so happy FOR you. To see a dream realized like that is a powerful reminder to us all to never stop believing and working for what we dream for ourselves. Thank you for always being a wonderful inspiration and for all the joy you spread along your way. 🙂 xoxo

Thanks, Rebecca. Your constant support and faith in me helps so much along this journey. So so happy you were there with me to celebrate. xo

13. Pamela Shaw says:

So happy for you. I think of that photo often. Excellent!

14. urban muser says:

A-mazing. I was so happy to share in part of that experience with you. xo

15. Kendra says:

This is so incredible! I really love seeing the pure joy and happiness on your face as well! Congrats!

16. Jill Vaughn says:

From your description, I walked through that experience with you just now. I have goosebumps!

I’m so happy for you. It’s a stunning photo and deserves to be there. Hopefully I can get in to see it and have my picture taken with your picture!

xo
    Jill

17. Siobhan Wolf says:

So happy for dreams coming true. You made it happen!

18. caroline says:

What a wonderful moment–actually many moments I’m sure–and dream come true. You inspire me to reach for my dreams…and that photo has always been a favorite of mine. Truly gorgeous.

19. I especially love that first photo, with Sarah enthusiastically in the background, but they are all great. How neat of Melissa to document that unfolding moment, in all of its emotion. As you already know, I wish with all my heart I could have been there.

20. Congratulations! What an achievement and what a gorgeous photo. I love you had a tribe with you to share and capture this moment.

21. There are no words to say how happy I am for you and your wonderful accomplishment!! The photo is so beautiful and you truly are a brilliant photographer. I’m new to the world of photography and I find so much inspiration in your work. Your art. I hope this new year brings more of your dreams into reality!! : )

~ Wendy