Salvaged

Monday, August 18th, 2014 19

When I got the email from Indie Film Lab with the subject line, “Your Scans are Ready,” my heart skipped a beat. A few weeks earlier, I had shipped the lab four rolls of film — three from our trip to Spain and France, and one from our trip to Colorado. You know the one from Colorado…that roll of film that was in my camera as I was pulled into the turbulent rapids of the North St. Vrain River. The roll of film that spent 15 minutes under water inside my now-waterlogged camera. The roll of film for which I had slim hopes of the lab being able to process as I expected the emulsion to have either slipped off or to have dried and stuck to itself in the canister. Yeah, that roll of film.

The email didn’t say anything about that roll of film. Despite me contacting the lab ahead of time to tell them what had happened and regardless of my notes on the order itself about the water damage, the message was simply the usual, somewhat automated email from the lab. I held my breath as I downloaded the zip file. Indeed, there were four folders that appeared in the unzipped file, one for each roll of film that I had sent. I quickly determined which folder contained the Colorado roll of film and opened it. And there I discovered 19 scans. Really?! 19 scans? Lest I get too excited just yet, I braced myself for streaky, muddied, images.

To my surprise, as I clicked on each jpeg file, I discovered that Indie Film Lab salvaged these photos! Yes, the images were a bit hazy, a bit “off,” but the photos were there.

Colorado-Valley_rs

Heart-Tree_rs

Mills-Lake_rs

Horse_rs

Taffy_rs

Us_rs

Alpine-Flowers_rs

From-Sandbeach_rs

Tony-Rock-Cliff_rsI’m so grateful for the work Indie Film Lab did to save this half-shot, damaged roll of film. Not only did they salvage these images, they salvaged my memories from a trip that seemingly got washed away.

Don’t forget that you can click on each image to see a larger version.

All is not lost. Now I REALLY believe in film! 😀 I love that last photo.

2. simon says:

Im glad the photos survived the trip. I am glad you survived the trip. This is a win win, and you have an amazing story.

My favorite photo is the one of the heart stamped into the tree. Really sums up the event.

3. Nikki says:

These shots are great, Meghan! So glad IFM salvaged your film…

4. I’d say you did pretty well! Hooray to the Photo Gods!

5. Meghan these are so beautiful…I cried when I saw them..so happy they were able to salvage them and that you shared them here.

xo
    Sarah

6. Kris says:

I’m all verklempt!! I’d so happy for you. We were floating/fishing the Snake River this past weekend and I shared your story. What a rockin’ lab, but really, what a fabulous gift back to you guys. <3

Oh the metaphors and life lessons abound!! So happy for you that these images were saved. So much can be salvaged from bad experiences – although I would never wish yours on anyone. But its not what happens to us – its how we respond to what happens to us. And I suspect you took away so much more than was taken from you this time around. I am glad for that, my friend.

8. Such brilliant news, Meghan. Yet another reason to love film! 😉

9. Arvee says:

They did a great job with the roll! 😉 What happened now to the camera?

Thanks, Arvee!! I still have the camera but I’m concerned it has too much water damage and pieces of sand and dirt inside to work correctly. 🙁

10. walker says:

yay, that salvaged roll is so damn cool!

analog greetings,